Thursday, March 03, 2011
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Stone Creek Entertainment, a publisher of video games, and MTV today announced I WOO YOU, a new social network game that brings digital dating and romance to Facebook. I WOO YOU is also a promotional vehicle for the MTV shows, including “The Real World” and incorporates the likes and dislikes of many of the shows’ characters.
Friday, February 20, 2009
Harmonix and MTV Games give a minimum $50,000 contribution and more than 650 Rock Band bundles in support of Starlight Children's Foundation programs
Harmonix Music Systems and MTV Games are making a generous minimum $50,000 gift to Starlight Children’s Foundation to bring the power of music to children facing chronic and life-threatening illnesses. The partnership will allow Harmonix, the world’s premiere music video game development company and creators of Rock Band, and MTV Games, publisher of Rock Band, to give Starlight children the chance to relax, enjoy and rock out to music in a fully interactive and social setting. In addition, more than 650 Rock Band bundles have been provided to Starlight’s seriously ill children at its Great Escape family events and to hospitals around the country.
“We’re honored to work with Starlight, which has an amazing tradition of offering support to seriously ill children,” said Alex Rigopulos, CEO and co-founder of Harmonix Music Systems. “We hope that our contribution will give these deserving families a new avenue to spend time together and enjoy great music.”
Paul DeGooyer, Senior Vice President of Electronic Games and Music for MTV Networks Music & Logo Group, added: “We’re very excited to be part of a program enabling Starlight kids and their families to rock out a bit through our placement of games in hospitals and at family events, facilitating once-in-a-lifetime getaways, and donations. It truly is a privilege to help Starlight and its mission.”
Beyond the monetary gift and product donation, the partnership will:
- enable select Starlight families to attend the Rock Band tour events,
- provide Rock Band bundles to Starlight families at Starlight’s Great Escapes family activities,
- provide Rock Band bundles to pediatric patients at select Starlight hospital partners, and
- provide Rock Band themed Great Escape family activities, which will be hosted for Starlight families by Harmonix and MTV Games.
Great Escapes (www.starlight.org/greatescapes) is a program created by Starlight to provide families with seriously ill children with a chance to spend recreational time together to relax, regroup and return home with a renewed sense of strength and hope. Great Escapes include movie screenings, trips to the circus, ball games, harbor cruises, mother-daughter makeovers, picnics, pajama parties and many more special activities. Starlight currently provides regular Great Escapes in more than 30 communities throughout the country.
The Rock Band themed Great Escapes will give Starlight children and family members a behind-the-scenes look at Rock Band, a chance to meet the game’s creators, a sneak peak at new content and other once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
“We all know that music is healing, and we are expecting Rock Band products to have a powerful, therapeutic effect on our children,” said Paula Van Ness, CEO of Starlight Children’s Foundation. “Rock Band will provide distractive entertainment therapy for thousands of seriously ill children and their families, both in the hospital setting and on an out-patient basis.”
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Throughout March and April, seventeen Total Rewards casinos* will host local, weekly Rock Band Competitions, allowing fans of the popular game to win an Xbox 360 and Rock Band bundle as well as other Total Rewards items and Rock Band apparel and accessories. Four regional competitions will then offer customers the chance to win more than $50,000 in prizes.The ultimate winning band will be given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to open for the legendary B-52’s at the House of Blues in Atlantic City on May 9th and will win $10,000 in prize money, making this the richest Rock Band competition in history. In addition, visitors at participating Total Rewards casinos across the country will be able to pick up their choice of guitar, bass, drums or vocals and rock out throughout the year during special Rock Band Nights.
“We’re thrilled to be working with such an energetic and iconic company like MTV Games to further help bring Rock Band to the masses through our Total Rewards venues,” said David Norton, chief marketing officer for Harrah’s Entertainment, Inc. “We look forward to giving thousands of Rock Band fans a new reason to jam and take part in an event unlike anything they’ve ever experienced before.”
“Harrah’s is known for extraordinary entertainment and we are pumped to see the first of our fully equipped Rock Band stages hit Total Rewards casinos across the country,” said Christina Glorioso, vice president of sales and marketing partnerships for MTV Games. “The full scope of the Rock Band and Harrah’s program represents a great relationship between our two brands and will create significant value for our shared consumers.”The local Total Rock, Total Rewards Rock Band Competition will be open at participating properties to pre-registered amateur acts, 21 years and older, on a first come first serve basis. The events will be hosted and promoted by local radio stations. The Rock Band game scoring system will be used to score the participating rock bands on skill and performance, and MTV Games will provide the pre-determined song list for all the competitions.
The winning band from each location will then have a chance to go head-to-head at celebrity-judged competitions in Las Vegas (April 16), Chicago Area (April 24), New Orleans (April 30), and Atlantic City (May 7).
The four winning bands, one from each regional competition, will then have a chance to compete for the championship title in Atlantic City on May 8th. The regional events and Atlantic City events will be produced by MTV Networks Special Events, and hosted and judged by MTV, Harrah’s, and local celebrities. Each band will compete on multiple Rock Band songs.
For more information and official rules on the competition, please visit http://www.harrahs.com/rockband.
The seventeen participating Total Rewards casinos* include:
Bally’s Atlantic CitySouthern Region
Harrah’s Atlantic City
Showboat Atlantic City
Harrah’s Chester (Philadelphia)
Harrah’s New OrleansCentral Region
Horseshoe Bossier City (Shreveport)
Harrah’s Tunica (Memphis)
Harrah’s Metropolis (Nashville)
Horseshoe Southern Indiana (Louisville)
Harrah’s Joliet (Chicago)Western Region
Harrah’s St. Louis
Harrah’s North Kansas City
Horseshoe Hammond (Chicago)
Harrah’s Council Bluffs (Omaha)
Caesars Windsor (Windsor, Ontario,
Harrah’s Rincon (San Diego)(* Subject to regulatory approval)
Harrah’s Las Vegas
Monday, November 24, 2008
Harmonix and MTV Games announced today the addition of nine new tracks to the Rock Band Music Store catalog of downloadable content including brand new material from The Killers’ soon to be released album Day and Age. On the day of the album’s release Rock Band fans will be able to purchase the band’s new track “Spaceman” through the Rock Band Music Store as well as The Killers’ previously released tracks “Mr. Brightside” and “Smile Like You Mean It.” All three songs will be available for download as individual Rock Band tracks as well as in a 3-pack. Tracks will join “When You Were Young” already featured in the Rock Band Music Store catalog.
Alternative band Soundgarden also offers up more tracks for Rock Band fans including “Jesus Christ Pose” from the band’s 1991 album Badmotofinger and “Pretty Noose” from the band’s fifth album Down on the Upside. Soundgarden’s hit singles “Black Hole Sun,” and “Spoonman” are already featured in the Rock Band Music Store catalog.
Next week’s DLC offering also includes a 3-pack from Swedish neo-metal guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen’s latest album featuring “Caprici Di Diablo,” “Damnation Game” and “Red Devil,” plus the single “Laid to Rest” from heavy metal band Lamb of God.
Each track will be available starting November 25, 2008, for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and for PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system. Each individual track will be available for $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points) or $5.49 (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for The Killers and Yngwie Malmsteen 3-packs.
Release date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 (Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360) and (PlayStation Store)
Tracks: The Killers “Mr. Brightside”
The Killers “Smile Like You Mean It”
The Killers “Spaceman”
Yngwie Malmsteen “Caprici Di Diablo”
Yngwie Malmsteen “Damnation Game”
Yngwie Malmsteen “Red Devil”
Soundgarden “Jesus Christ Pose”
Soundgarden “Pretty Noose”
Lamb of God “Laid to Rest”
Price: $1.99 (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track
$5.49 (440 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for each 3-Pack
(All tracks are original master recordings)
Locations: Xbox LIVE Marketplace for Xbox 360 and PlayStationNetwork
** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change **
Friday, November 14, 2008
Just in time for the holidays, Harmonix, the world’s leading developer of music-based games, MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks, and distribution partner Electronic Arts today announced that the original Rock Band Special Edition Bundle is available for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and Nintendo Wii starting at $99.99. The Rock Band Special Edition Bundle is also available for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system and starting at $139.99.
Rock Band is the No 1 title of 2008 year to date  by revenue according to NPD. Rock Band has garnered over 40 awards including the Game Critics Award: Best of Show E3 2007 and three awards at The 11th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards including Outstanding Innovation in Gaming, Family Game of the Year, and Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack.
A must have-gift for any music or game fan, Rock Band is an all-new way for people to connect with the music they love in a social, interactive environment. The Rock Band Special Edition Bundle gives families and friends everything they need to start their own band - a microphone, Fender Stratocaster-modeled guitar controller and drum controller. Rock Band features an awe-inspiring line up of the most-loved rock music of all time - from classic rock and alternative to southern rock and metal including artists such as Rolling Stones, Metallica, The Police, The Clash, Foo Fighters, Radiohead and More.
Rock Band is rated “T” for Teen (lyrics, mild suggestive themes) by the ESRB.
Rock Band 2, is also now available on the Xbox 360 the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, and will be available soon on the PLAYSTATION 2 computer entertainment system and the Wii. Rock Band Special Edition Bundle instruments are fully compatible with Rock Band 2. In addition, 55 of the 58 songs from the original Rock Band game disc are exportable into consumers Rock Band 2 song library.
MTV - The Ultimate Music Game Video Game Battle of the Bands on Rock Band Battle this Saturday November 15th 1pm ET/PT
With the widely successful Rock Band 2® music-based video game at their sides, the four member groups will have a chance to take their pick of microphone, drums, bass or guitar and select their favorite song from the Rock Band 2 catalogue of over 100 tracks. The contestants will be scored on how well they play the game along with how well they impress the audience with their stage presence and rock and roll acumen.
The winning band will walk away with an electronics system package that will ensure the ultimate at-home Rock Band experience, including:
Big Screen LG television,
Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Theater System,
Microsoft Xbox 360, and
Rock Band 2 Special Edition Bundle from MTV Games for Xbox 360.
Five outstanding groups from diverse backgrounds will stand up to the Rock Band 2 challenge. Though their backgrounds are assorted, their shared devotion for the game that rocks is the tie that binds them
S Girls are self described as “four smoking hot, talented, fun bombshells that always entertain and never disappoint.” They are full time students and members of the Chi Omega Sorority, thus the S. They plan to hit the stage with a new school performance of an old school hit.
Classical Musicians will show that they too can bang their heads when Mozart’s Biatch takes unexpected turn by performing The Donnas single “New Kid in School.” All members of the group play instruments in a symphony together, but after orchestra rehearsal, they unwind with a stylistic twist by playing Rock Band at home.Poorman’s Process is a group of young men who spread their love for the game by hosting a Rock Band night at their local bar. Since they came together they made a vow to “Rock With No Limits.” Rock Band has a special place in their hearts because they feel it has taken their love for Karaoke to the next level.
One of the best elements of Rock Band is the freakishly cool avatars that display images of rockers. The basement band, Jerk Rag have taken this feature to the next level, as they take the stage in real life as a complete mash-up of 80’s hair bands and 90’s grunge. A group made up of three guys and one lady, they all share the “down for anything” spirit.
Scared Puppy is a group of self described “hippies,” who are extremely laid back with “chill” attitudes. All of the guys work together and use any opportunity they get to play Rock Band, even if it’s on a break at work.Rock Band Battle is produced by Mark Burnett Productions, Mark Burnett and Jay Karas are executive producers. Liz Gateley, Jacquelyne French and Tony Calandra serve as executive producers for MTV
Rock Band 2, developed by Harmonix and published by MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks, is currently available for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system, and will be available for the PlayStation 2 system and Nintendo Wii in December 2008.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
AC/DC comes exclusively to Rock Band beginning this November for the worldwide release of AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack by Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks, (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B). This exclusive deal with Columbia Records and AC/DC marks the first time ever the band has included an entire album for video game play, with 18 live tracks from their prolific live performances becoming available in one electrifying, standalone game. The AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack allows players to experience this amazing set list with Rock Band, Rock Band 2 or other compatible music game peripherals. Full of the band’s classic songs, the game will be available this November in the US and throughout Europe, Australia and New Zealand beginning in early December.
“When MTV first launched in 1981, we promised that people would ‘never look at music the same way again’ and, with Rock Band, we continue to fulfill this commitment," stated Paul DeGooyer, MTV’s Senior Vice President of Electronic Games & Music. “We're excited to be part of AC/DC’s and Columbia's global plan for the release of their new album, DVD and now, videogame. Being the first to present these revered songs in interactive form, exclusively on the Rock Band platform is a true honor. For those about to rock with the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack, we salute you!"
"AC/DC fans can now experience performing live, on stage with the band," said Columbia Records co-Chairman Steve Barnett. "An unforgettable concert is now an ultimate at-home entertainment experience with the AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack."
AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will feature the master recordings from the best of the band's live performances. The live recording was specially remixed for Rock Band by Mike Fraser. The game features 18 tracks, with more than 99 minutes of game play for each instrument:
"Shoot to Thrill"
"Back in Black"
"Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be"
"Fire Your Guns"
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
"Whole Lotta Rosie"
"You Shook Me All Night Long"
"Let There Be Rock”
"Highway To Hell”
"For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)”
All tracks from the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will also be available for play in Rock Band and Rock Band 2  by entering a special export authentication code for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system versions. As previously announced, AC/DC’s anthem “Let There Be Rock” is featured in Rock Band 2 – the first time the group has been included in a music-based video game. In addition, look for the epic Rock Band 2 TV commercial featuring the studio version of AC/DC’s rock anthem “Let There Be Rock” that premiered during the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards at www.rockband2.com.
The AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be available in the U.S. on November 2nd on Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and on November 16th for Wii™. Pricing for AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack on Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and Wii is MSRP $39.88 and MSRP $29.88 for the PlayStation 2. The AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will also be available at most major retailers in Europe, Australia and New Zealand in early December on Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3, PlayStation 2 and Wii. In the UK, AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be MSRP £29.99 for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and Wii and MSRP £19.99 for the PlayStation 2. In the rest of EU, the AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be MSRP €39.99 for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 and Wii and MSRP €29.99 for the PlayStation 2. In Australia, AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack will be MSRP $49.99 for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3, Wii and PlayStation 2.
AC/DC LIVE: Rock Band Track Pack follows the release of AC/DC’s first album of all-new material in eight years. The album, "Black Ice," features 15 new tracks from brothers Angus and Malcolm Young, Brian Johnson, Cliff Williams, and Phil Rudd. "Rock 'n' Roll Train," the album's first single, was released on August 28. “Black Ice” will be available in the US exclusively at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club retail locations and Web sites Oct. 20 for $11.88, as well as on the band's Web site, www.acdc.com.
Released first on Xbox 360 on September 14th, Rock Band 2 features the largest music catalogue of any music-based videogame to date including over 100 songs  on the Rock Band 2 soundtrack with an unrivaled blend of classic and new artists including AC/DC, Guns ‘N Roses, Bob Dylan, Pearl Jam, Motorhead and more! The Rock Band online music store recently surpassed 21 million paid downloads since the game’s launch in late November 2007. With more than 300 tracks available to date via disc and download purchase (complete list of tracks at http://www.rockband.com/dlc), the addition of complete and immediate backwards compatibility for songs purchased from Rock Band’s ever-expanding online music store and the ability to export most songs from the original Rock Band disc, the Rock Band music library will feature more than 500 songs  by year’s end.All Rock Band posts on gamezplay.org here...
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Potential “God of War” movie maker Brett Ratner would really like to make a “Guitar Hero” movie.
Ratner spoke to my MTV News colleague Jocelyn Vena yesterday for an interview primarily about his “Best Director” Video Music Awards nomination for his work on Miley Cyrus‘ “7 Things” music video.
Since Ratner has done a lot with “Guitar Hero” lately — he had Miley pretending to smash “Guitar Hero” instruments on the set of “7 Things,” had “GH” in his Mariah Carey video and got it on American Idol — we needed to ask him what else he has in store for the game.
More from MTV Multiplayer here...
Thursday, August 14, 2008
Jackass The Game for the Nintendo DS and will be available across EU territories and Switzerland on 19th September 2008.
Jackass the Game is inspired by the popular MTV television series and hugely successful MTV Films Jackass and Jackass number two. Jackass the Game DS will give players the ability to take on the roles of Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O and many others from the Jackass gang as they maneuver through the types of off-the-wall madness and stunts that fans have previously only been accustomed to watching on their televisions and movie screens.
You take on the role of Dickhouse Productions new intern. Your job is to do whatever the jackass crew wants you to do and like it. Throughout the game, the members of the Jackass gang will send you out to complete a huge range of stunts, pranks, and tricks. The game takes place in Mianus. You and the crew will explore 5 unique parts of Mianus (City, Suburbs, Mountains, Beach, and Industrial Park), each with unique obstacles and challenges.
Empire Interactive will bring all the outlandish hijinks and sheer stupidity made famous by the Jackass crew to the Nintendo DS on 19th September 2008.
Thursday, August 07, 2008
We know that Activision is contemplating more band-themed Guitar Hero games, but they are mum as to which bands they are working with. With the recent deal to make the next Metallica album available on Guitar Hero III the same day it is released to the public for purchase, one has to wonder if they are working with the band for their own Guitar Hero title. Lets see what Las Ulrich has to say about the matter.
I think at some point a band can actually get big enough to just not care what they say. Take for instance this recent interview with Metallica rocker Lars Ulirich where he all but says “they’re making Guitar Hero Metallica”.
There’s an Aerosmith game out there that’s super successful, and if somebody’s gonna follow that up…we’re talking, and its exciting, and the people at ‘Guitar Hero’ and Activision are rapidly becoming our best new friends in the world. You can put the rest of it together yourself.
My puzzle-solving skills aren’t what they once were, so I’ve contacted my crack team of specialists, and we’ve translated the text to mean that either Lars just confirmed a Gutiar Hero: Metallica title, or that the band is planning on buying the Guitar Hero franchise and will rule the gaming world with an iron fist. I’m not sure, but I think I’m leaning toward the latter.
Watch the MTV interview here...
Monday, July 14, 2008
Upgraded World Tour, Battle of the Bands, Set Challenges and Drum Trainer All Deliver an Authentic, Optimized Experience
Soundtrack to Feature Over 100 Songs From Unrivaled Blend of Classic, Developing and New Artists
Rock Band is the first music game to Support Open Platform By Officially Licensing Third Party Rock Band 2 Instruments: Mad Catz Premier Guitar Controllers, Cymbal Expansion Pack and Professional ION Alesis Drum Set
New features for the next evolution of the groundbreaking music platform, Rock Band™ 2. With the original Rock Band title providing millions of players with a new way to interact with the music and artists they love, Rock Band 2 builds upon its core band foundation to offer an unparalleled, deeper, dynamic gameplay experience.
Rock Band 2 raises the bar in music gaming innovation with new features to rock the world:
* Local and global online modes to connect the entire Rock Band community
* World Tour mode, now online, simplifies the best of gameplay from the original Rock Band by fusing Solo Tour and Band World Tour modes and cranks it up a notch with an all new collection of opportunity gigs, challenges, cities, venues and hirable staff
* Tour Challenges that offer rockers a chance to play through mini-campaigns focused on the best songs by instrument, decade, genre, artist, album and more
* Battle of the Bands mode challenges players to go head to head against other bands in constantly refreshed contests* created by Harmonix (*internet connection required)
* Quickplay makes it easier than ever to get in and jam without hassle while allowing for new prefab characters or customized characters that can play on any instrument plus lets you make your own set lists and organize your song lists in a variety of categories (genre, era, etc.)
* Customizable Set Lists keep the music rolling and your band rocking in Quickplay mode
* Drum Trainer mode gives players the fundamentals of different beats and fills, translating gameplay into real drumming skills
* Character Creator completes your look with all new choices in clothing, accessories, tattoos, hairstyles, instruments and more to keep your unique rock avatar playing the full rock part
* Backwards compatibility with all Rock Band downloadable music content released to date
* Disc Export Feature gives owners of the original Rock Band the ability to export most of the Rock Band disc tracks and upgrade them into Rock Band 2 gameplay-the first time ever in videogame history!
Rock Band 2 features the largest music catalogue of any music-based videogame to date including:
* The Rock Band 2 soundtrack will feature over 100 songs - with over 80 songs on disc plus an additional 20 bonus tracks which will be made available for free download this fall .
* Unrivaled Blend of Classic, Developing and Emerging rock acts including Pearl Jam, Metallica, Allman Brothers, Motorhead, Devo, Jane's Addiction, Megadeth, Paramore, Modest Mouse and more.
* Rock Band 2 is the first and only video game to feature the music of AC/DC. It includes their epic rock anthem, "Let There Be Rock”
* After 14 years since Guns N’ Roses last official music release, Axl Rose selects Rock Band 2 to debut official new track, “Shackler’s Revenge” from the highly-anticipated album Chinese Democracy
* For the first time ever, music from American music icon, Bob Dylan, is featured in a video game with “Tangled Up In Blue”
* With ongoing weekly DLC releases including individual tracks, track packs and full albums, the Rock Band music library will feature more than 500 songs by year’s end!
From the solid officially licensed Rock Band 2 instruments to the expanded third party options, Rock Band 2 introduces new and improved choices that promise to deliver unsurpassed realism. In addition, Harmonix and MTV Games have become the first companies to officially support third party instruments and accessories in a music videogame.
Achieve ultimate stardom with the upgraded functionality and smooth new look of the official Rock Band 2 instruments.
* Fender Stratocaster Controller takes on a new authentic look plus adds a reinforced strum bar, quieter buttons, wireless functionality and a built in calibration tool that automatically sets your AV setup to an ideal setting for maximum rock.Kick up the intensity with officially licensed third party instruments from Mad Catz:
* Drum set goes wireless while also featuring quieter, velocity sensitive drum pads and a metal reinforced pedal.
* Microphone showcases authentic styling and weight.
* Fender Telecaster Controller features soft buttons with lower action to help you shred faster than ever.
* Fender Bass Controller, the first bass guitar controller ever, takes the shape of the Fender P-Bass with extended length, tuning pegs and a split strum bar to replicate finger-bass style picking.
* Full-sized Squire Stratocaster Guitar Controller multiplies the authentic guitar experience by featuring a controller built into an actual Squire Stratocaster body.
* Cymbal Expansion Pack is a straightforward but amazing upgrade to the Rock Band 2 drum set featuring add-on cymbals.
Take Rock Band 2 instrument authenticity to a whole new level with a high-end peripheral from ION:
* ION Drum Rocker, a real electronic drum kit that functions as a game controller, brings the Rock Band fantasy to life featuring a simple substitution that takes the drum kit from a controller to a real instrument.
The song set list for Rock Band 2, the next evolution of the ground breaking Rock Band music platform. The Rock Band 2 soundtrack will feature over 100 songs with over 80 songs on disc plus an additional 20 bonus tracks which will be made available for free download this fall.
This builds upon the unparalleled depth and diversity of Rock Band’s original set list and its ever-expanding library of downloadable tracks. Comprised entirely of master recordings from some of rock’s most prolific and untouchable artists, including AC/DC, Guns N’ Roses, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Pearl Jam and more, Rock Band 2 will deliver the most impressive and largest music catalogue of any music-based video game ever.
• After 14 years since Guns N’ Roses last official music release, Axl Rose selects Rock Band 2 to debut official new track “Shackler's Revenge” from the highly-anticipated album Chinese Democracy.
• Rock Band 2 is the first and only video game to feature the music of AC/DC. It includes their epic rock anthem, "Let There Be Rock.”
• For the first time ever, music from American music icon, Bob Dylan, is featured in a video game with “Tangled Up In Blue.”
• Rock Band 2 will feature backwards compatibility with all Rock Band downloadable music content released to date.
• Owners of the original Rock Band will have the ability to export most of the Rock Band disc tracks and upgrade them into Rock Band 2 gameplay-the first time ever in video game history!
• With ongoing weekly DLC releases including individual tracks, track packs and full albums, the Rock Band music library will feature more than 500 songs by year’s end!
“With Rock Band, Harmonix and MTV Games set out to create a powerful music platform for music fans, their friends and families to discover music in a way unlike ever before,” said Paul DeGooyer, SVP Electronic Games and Music, MTV. “We are honored that such legendary artists as AC/DC, Guns N’ Roses, Bob Dylan and more have chosen Rock Band 2 as a new platform for fans to experience their music. As our catalog of disc and downloadable songs continues to grow, we are determined to continue to provide the Rock Band community an unmatched ability to customize their musical experience with the artists and songs they love.”
Rock Band 2 On-Disc Track List:
Artist Song Title Decade
1. AC/DC “Let There Be Rock” 1970s
2. AFI “Girl’s Gone Grey” 2000’s
3. Alanis Morissette “You Oughta Know” 1990’s
4. Alice in Chains “Man in the Box” 1990’s
5. Allman Brothers “Ramblin’ Man” 1970’s
6. Avenged Sevenfold “Almost Easy” 2000’s
7. Bad Company “Shooting Star” 1970’s
8. Beastie Boys “So Whatcha Want” 1990’s
9. Beck “E-Pro” 2000’s
10. Bikini Kill “Rebel Girl” 1990’s
11. Billy Idol “White Wedding Pt. I” 1980’s
12. Blondie “One Way or Another” 1970’s
13. Bob Dylan “Tangled Up in Blue” 1970’s
14. Bon Jovi “Livin’ on a Prayer” 1980’s
15. Cheap Trick “Hello There” 1970’s
16. Devo “Uncontrollable Urge” 1980’s
17. Dinosaur Jr. “Feel the Pain” 1990’s
18. Disturbed “Down with the Sickness” 2000’s
19. Dream Theater “Panic Attack” 2000’s
20. Duran Duran “Hungry Like the Wolf” 1980’s
21. Elvis Costello “Pump It Up” 1970’s
22. Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” 1970’s
23. Foo Fighters “Everlong” 1990’s
24. Guns N’ Roses “Shackler’s Revenge” 2000’s
25. Interpol “PDA” 2000’s
26. Jane’s Addiction “Mountain Song” 1980’s
27. Jethro Tull “Aqualung” 1970’s
28. Jimmy Eat World “The Middle” 2000’s
29. Joan Jett “Bad Reputation” 1980’s
30. Journey “Anyway You Want It” 1970’s
31. Judas Priest “Painkiller” 1990’s
32. Kansas “Carry On Wayward Son” 1970’s
33. L7 “Pretend We’re Dead” 1990’s
34. Lacuna Coil “Our Truth” 2000’s
35. Linkin Park “One Step Closer” 2000’s
36. Lit “My Own Worst Enemy” 1990’s
37. Lush “De-Luxe” 1990’s
38. Mastodon “Colony of Birchmen” 2000’s
39. Megadeth “Peace Sells” 1980’s
40. Metallica “Battery” 1980’s
41. Mighty Mighty Bosstones “Where’d You Go” 1990’s
42. Modest Mouse “Float On” 2000’s
43. Motorhead “Ace of Spades” 1980’s
44. Nirvana “Drain You” 1990’s
45. Norman Greenbaum “Spirit in the Sky” 1960’s
46. Panic at the Disco “Nine in the Afternoon” 2000’s
47. Paramore “That’s What You Get” 2000’s
48. Pearl Jam “Alive” 1990’s
49. Presidents of the USA “Lump” 1990’s
50. Rage Against the Machine “Testify” 1990’s
51. Ratt “Round & Round” 1980’s
52. Red Hot Chili Peppers “Give it Away” 1990’s
53. Rise Against “Give it All” 2000’s
54. Rush “The Trees” 1970’s
55. Silversun Pickups “Lazy Eye” 2000’s
56. Smashing Pumpkins “Today” 1990’s
57. Social Distortion “I Was Wrong” 1990’s
58. Sonic Youth “Teenage Riot” 1980’s
59. Soundgarden “Spoonman” 1990’s
60. Squeeze “Cool for Cats” 1970’s
61. Steely Dan “Bodhitsattva” 1970’s
62. Steve Miller Band “Rock’n Me” 1970’s
63. Survivor “Eye of the Tiger” 1980’s
64. System of a Down “Chop Suey” 2000’s
65. Talking Heads “Psycho Killer” 1970’s
66. Tenacious D “Master Exploder” 2000’s
67. Testament “Souls of Black” 1990’s
68. The Donnas “New Kid in School” 2000’s
69. The Go-Go’s “We Got the Beat” 1980’s
70. The Grateful Dead “Alabama Getaway” 1980’s
71. The Guess Who “American Woman” 1970’s
72. The Muffs “Kids in America” 1990’s
73. The Offspring “Come Out & Play (Keep ‘em Separated)” 1990’s
74. The Replacements “Alex Chilton” 1980’s
75. The Who “Pinball Wizard” 1960’s
Bonus Artist Bonus Song Title Decade
76. Abnormality “Visions” 2000’s
77. Anarchy Club “Get Clean” 2000’s
78. Bang Camaro “Night Lies” 2000’s
79. Breaking Wheel “Shoulder to the Plow” 2000’s
80. The Libyans “Neighborhood” 2000’s
81. The Main Drag “A Jagged Gorgeous Winter” 2000’s
82. Speck “Conventional Lover” 2000’s
83. The Sterns “Supreme Girl” 2000’s
84. That Handsome Devil “Rob the Prez-O-Dent” 2000’s
** The Rock Band 2 on-disc track list is comprised entirely of master recordings.
More news about music on the Rock Band platform will be announced during the coming months.
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Harmonix Music Systems, the leading developer of music-based games, and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks, announced today that they will team up with Q Entertainment, a leading Japanese music game designer, to bring the best-selling music videogame Rock Band to Japan. The two studios will work together to develop the title, marking the first US-originated rock music game to be heavily localized for the Japanese market. The game will feature Japanese musical acts as well as other localized assets.
Rock Band’s return to the birthplace of rhythm games will benefit from Q Entertainment’s experience designing progressive and engaging games many of which have a heavy focus on integrating music elements into gameplay. Since its founding in 2003, Tokyo based Q Entertainment has become a leader in rhythm oriented titles, including the critically acclaimed music and luminary action puzzle game series Lumines,and the recently released Extend Every Extra Extreme (E4) and Rez HD for Xbox Live.
Today’s announcement was also featured Saturday at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards - Japan, where a Rock Band trailer was presented.
The US-version of Rock Band was also prominently featured backstage and at the afterparty, giving Japanese attendees a taste of what’s to come in the newly announced title.
Rock Band, which has sold over 3 million units in North America and Europe, is an all-new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music. The game challenges players to put together a band and tour for fame and fortune, mastering lead/bass guitar, drums and vocals.With more master recordings than any other music game, Rock Band features some of the world’s biggest rock artists and spans every genre of rock ranging from alternative and classic rock to heavy metal and punk.
Rock Band is a true music platform, with over 12 million songs sold as downloadable content since its initial release. There are currently over 140 songs available for download in the Rock Band Music Store and Harmonix continues to release new music every week.
Since its North American release in 2007, Rock Band has garnered over 40 awards including Game Critics Award: Best of Show E3 2007and three awards at The 11th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards including Outstanding Innovation in Gaming, Family Game of the Year, and Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack.
Monday, April 07, 2008
Rock Band and MTV2 Present One of the Hottest Rock Tours This Spring Beginning April 8th
MTV Games, a division of Viacom’s MTV Networks, announced today that Rock Band and MTV2 will hit the road as the presenting co-sponsors of platinum-selling rock act, Flyleaf and chart topping alt rock act Seether, on their co-headlining tour this Spring kicking off in Denver, CO on April 8th. A perennial gold-selling artist, Seether currently has two top ten hits at active and modern rock radio simultaneously with “Fake It” and their follow-up smash “Rise Above This”. After scoring 3 top ten hits at modern and active rock radio on their eponymous smash debut, Flyleaf is finally mining pay-dirt at Top 40 radio with their haunting ballad, "All Around Me"
“Sponsoring the Seether and Flyleaf tour is another way for us to give Rock Band fans the opportunity to connect with the bands they love and provide a stage for them to live out their rock fantasies,” said Paul DeGooyer, SVP DVD, Gaming and Audio, MTV. “By supporting this tour, it allows us to expose great young talent like Flyleaf, who are a true Rock Band success story. The inclusion of their single “I’m So Sick” in Rock Band has helped propel them from gold to platinum selling artists.”
“Seether and Flyleaf are some of the most requested bands in rotation on MTV2,” stated Andy Hunter, SVP, MTV2. “Bringing together Rock Band and MTV2 to support these popular rock artists, hits home with our audience by bringing them bands they want to see in concert and the music video game they want to rock with.”
Beginning Tuesday, April 8th and running through Wednesday, May 21st, music fans that attend the Seether and Flyleaf tour will be given the chance to play against the members of Flyleaf and Seether on Rock Band. Local competitions will be held at each tour location where several lucky contest winners will be given the chance to receive copies of Rock Band, create a hot MTV2 video playlist as well as co-host “Saturday Rock the Deuce” on MTV2 with Seether and Flyleaf. In addition, exclusive video clips from the tour will be available on www.mtv2.com and a tour diary chronicling Seether and Flyleaf’s interactions with fans will air on MTV2 as they host the All That Rocks block on Saturdays at 6PM for 8 weeks premiering on April 5th through May 24th giving viewers weekly updates and footage from the road.
For more info, specific tour dates and locations, please visit Seether’s website, and Flyleaf’s website. In addition, fans can visit www.mtv2.com and www.rockband.com for more information on dates, locations and Rock Band news.
Rock Band is a new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music like never before, challenging users to master the lead/bass guitar, drums, and vocals as solo artists or cooperatively as part of their own band. Built on unprecedented deals with the world’s biggest record labels and music publishers, the music featured in Rock Band will span all genres of rock and will include many master recordings from the greatest songs and artists of all time. Rock Band was the top winning game at this year’s E3 show, winning the overall “Best in Show 2007” award and garnering the most Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2007 with five nominations and three awards.
Tuesday, April 01, 2008
On April 3rd, MTV Networks is premiering their new show Rock the Cradle, which is a a singing talent competition featuring celebrity offspring and their famous parents such as: Olivia Newton-John, Kenny Loggins, Bobby Brown, Eddie Money, Joe Walsh, MC Hammer, Dee Snider (whose son unfortunately inherited his chin) and more. This should definitely be interesting because every week the contestants will take the stage and give it their all or be sent packing.
Each rock star kid will Rock the Cradle in front of a panel of judges, and like American Idol and other reality shows, the judges will share their opinions after each performance, but the viewer will ultimately decide who will stay and who will go. The winner will get to try and follow in the footsteps of dear ole Mom or Dad.
To celebrate the new series, there will be a Rock Band video game competition this Saturday, March 22, in select cities between kids and their parents. ROCK THE CRADLE DNA DUELs will be held in LA, NY, DC, Chicago and Cleveland area shopping malls. The winning teams will square off at the finals in the middle of Time Square. NYC.
To register for the event, visit the official MTV Rock the Cradle website where you can also get more information like locations and times. If any of our readers decide to sign up for this or just plan on watching the competition, please be sure and drop us a line letting us know how well you did or what you thought of it.
Source: Press Release
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Wii Will Rock You!
The number one selling game in February 2008 is coming to Nintendo Wii
Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, and MTV Games, a division of MTV Networks, which is a division of Viacom, along with distribution partner Electronic Arts, today announced plans to release the award-winning music video game Rock Band on the Wii home video game system from Nintendo in the U.S. and Canada on June 22, 2008 for the suggested retail price of $169.99.
Rock Band for Wii will be released as a Special Edition bundle including the software, drums, microphone and a wireless guitar. Stand alone instruments will also be available on June 22nd for people who want to build their band one instrument at a time or want to play the drum versus drum game mode. The game will feature 63 songs including five bonus songs for Wii gamers to enjoy.
“The Wii’s success among casual and core gamers of all ages makes it an ideal match for the cross-generational appeal of the music featured in Rock Band,” says Bob Picunko, Vice President of Electronic Games and Interactive Products, MTV
“The social interaction and addictive nature of the Rock Band experience is a perfect fit for the Wii and will undoubtedly be fun for the entire family,” says Steve Singer, licensing VP from Nintendo.
Rock Band is an all-new platform for music fans and gamers to interact with music like never before. The game challenges players to put together a band and tour for fame and fortune – all while learning to master lead/bass guitar, drums and vocals. Featuring the most master recordings of any music game ever by the world’s biggest rock artists, Rock Band includes tracks that span every genre of rock ranging from alternative and classic rock to heavy metal and punk. Rock Band has garnered over 40 awards this year including Game Critics Award: Best of Show E3 2007 and three awards at The 11th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards including Outstanding Innovation in Gaming, Family Game of the Year, and Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack.
Rock Band is rated “T” for Teen (lyrics, mild suggestive themes) by the ESRB.
Rock Band is currently available on the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment system, and on the PLAYSTATION 2 computer entertainment system.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
If you ever find yourself wondering which one of your characters has the most KO’s in “Super Smash Bros. Brawl” six weeks down the line, the game’s record-keeping will have you covered.
One of the things the “Smash Bros.” series is well know for is their meticulous statistics tracking, and “Brawl” is no exception.
“SSBB” tracks 39 different categories of information, everything from how many times you turn the game on to (my personal favorite) the “loneliest” character. It’s really great for the obsessive gamers out there to see just how much they’ve played “Brawl,” and we’re guessing that if “A Lot” were a number, it would be showing up on many gamers’ lists pretty quickly.
- Power Count (Number of times you turned on Smash Bros. Brawl.)
- Power Time (Total time the game has been turned on.)
- Play Time (Amount of time spent in matches.)
- Adventure Play Time (Amount of time spent playing The Subspace Emissary.)
- Combined Adventure Play Time (Adventure play time times number of players.)
- Solo Play Time (Total play time in Solo mode.)
- Combined Solo Play Time (Solo mode play time times the number of players.)
- Vs. Play Time (Total play time in Group mode.)
- Combined Vs. Play Time (Group mode play time times the number of players)
- Vs. Play Match Total (Total vs. matches, including Nintendo WFC matches.
- Offline Vs. Matches Played (Total number of offline vs. matches.)
- Offline Matches Played (Total number of online vs. matches With Friends or Anyone.)
- Online Play Time With Friends (Total play time for all online matches With Friends.)
- Play Time With Anyone (Total play time for all online matches With Anyone.)
- Matches Spectated (Total number of times you watched other matches.)
- Time Match Total (Total number of Time matches.)
- Stock Match Total (Total number of Stock matches.)
- Coin Match Total (Total number of Coin matches.)
- Vs. Play Contestants (Total number of brawls from all players.)
- Match Reset Counter (Total number of times you’ve ended a match early.)
- Total Damage (Total damage received by all characters.)
- KO Total (Total number of opponents KO’d.)
- Self-Destruct Total (Total number of self destructs.)
- Available Characters (Number of characters available.)
- Available Stages (Number of stages available (excludes custom stages).
- Trophy Total (Number of trophies you have (excludes doubles).
- Sticker Total (Number of stickers you have (excludes doubles).
- Name Total (Total number of names registered.)
- Friend Total (Total number of people on Friend Roster.)
- Favorite Character (Character played the longest.)
- Second Favorite Character (Character played second longest.)
- Loneliest Character (Least played character.)
- Smash Champ (Character with the most wins.)
- Smash Sap (Character with the most losses.)
- Slug Meister (Character who has dealt out the most damage.)
- Punching Bag (Character who has taken the most damage.)
- KO Kingpin (Most KOs in brawls.)
- No-Defense Nelly (Most Falls in brawls.)
- Disaster Master (Most Self-Destruct in brawls.)
Source: MTV Multiplayer
And The Award For Greatest Video Game Canine Goes To…
Every dog has his day…
And today is that day for one video game dog (or wolf).
This year, we’ve embarked on a quest to find the Greatest Animal in the History of Video Games. First, we had judges choose the best horse.
And now, our fine panel has chosen the Greatest Canine in Video Games from a list of nominees that we listed last month (along with readers’ suggestions).
We’ve weighted each judge’s top three picks, and the winner is…
PaRappa the Rapper, who topped the list for three out of our four judges. Meanwhile, Brown from “Rule of Rose” took second place, and the undead dogs from “Resident Evil” were third place.
And the Readers’ Choice winner: a four-way tie, with readers giving props to K.K. Slider from “Animal Crossing,” Amaterasu from “Okami,” the “Duck Hunt” dog and Sam from “Sam & Max.”
More from MTV Multiplayer