Axiom Verge is a retro-style action-platform-exploration game done in a 16-bit style and was heavily influenced by games like Metroid, Contra, Blaster Master, and other classics, but with very modern design sensibilities.
It also gives you power over glitches like those found in classic games, allowing you to scramble enemies, corrupt environments, and enter hidden areas as you explore this hostile alien world and uncover your role within it.
The entire game (programming, design, art, animations, music) was created by one person, Tom Happ, during evenings and weekends over the course of 5 years. Previously released on PS4 and Steam, it has received more than 24 independent review scores of 9/10 or higher and won multiple game of the year awards.
- Expansive non-linear exploration of 9 labyrinthine, interlocking areas
- Tons of unique abilities, over 40 weapons and tools, almost 100 upgrades to unlock
- Combat with dozens of unique creatures and bosses
- Glitches allowing you to break past the boundaries of normal gameplay
- Almost 1000 rooms
- 6 supported languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese
Exclusive Features to Wii U:
- Display the menu on the Wii U GamePad: In the Wii U version, players can choose what’s always visible on the GamePad with the ability to toggle between the map, weapon descriptions, notes, and passcode tool
- Off-TV play mode: If the TV is being used for other purposes, people will be able to play the game entirely on the Wii U GamePad
Genre: Retro 2D action-adventure
Platform: Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Number of Players: 1
Release Date: Q2 2016